What are the Partition Walls and Where To Use Them?
Defining the Partition Walls: What are They Used For?
The partition or divider walls are the basics when it comes to managing spaces.
They are the key to delimiting the Ins and Outs within a specific place that we need to design. So as we are the designers or the architects we already prioritize them as a way to set the restrictions of our movements and circulations within the limits that the partitions created for us.
Therefore, the presence of partitions in our daily routine -or better name dividers- is essential to define the limits between ourselves and others. Or just they will not exist at all, depending on our decision. There are two sorts of wall partitions: the exterior walls, and the interiors’. The exteriors’ are intended to be thicker and more resistant than the interiors to protect us against severe weather.
|Fig.1- Typical mounted Partition Walls with relevant Openings, Photo Source: www.alliedmodular.com|
In this post, I will be focusing on the interior partition walls especially because they are various in types and categories and can be customized in very different ways. And for that, they are also called for good: The Smart Partitions.
Introducing the Modular Wall Partitions
For industrial use, it's been even easier to manipulate and install with a similar product but slightly different yet, when it comes to manufacturing and also for trading and commercial purposes.
It is what we called the modular building system or just the modular wall partitions for our discussion topic. Specific research, over the internet or else, concerning this construction element, will give us a small idea of what we have here; it is all about a typical module that is repeated as many times as needed to fill a particular area, which is the wall, in our case. And that’s it! So easy, so simple!
This theory is very known and used in the most familiar and daily events that used to happen around us, but we barely pay attention to them. Some live examples of those will make the vision clearer! They are built using a unique method of construction called modular construction
So, what do you think of a living room covered with a (60 cm by 60 cm) ceramic or else tiles?... Isn’t a module of tiled (60*60) repeated inline to fill the surface?
The same goes for the toilet walls with ceramic tiles, and also for many other examples that we can get from our daily regular life around us.
Another valuable example I will take as a resource to reflect the concept used in modules is the Seamless Pattern Panels that use generally graphic compositions within a repetitive row and column cloning as shown in Fig. 2 below.
➤ An ample approach for the Seamless Pattern Swatch can be found in the previously posted article Tips and Tracks for Mastering Adobe Photoshop CS3 Fast in my blog.
Generally, the modular partition wall panel comes with standard sizes to cut later in customized lengths as needed. The Easy Timber Frame website provides the following technical information with an explicative figure for easy assimilation of the process; find below an example of it:
The standard panels have a 25mm locating lip at the base, giving a height from top of the soleplate to underside of joist of 2375mm. Head plates combine with head binders (wall plates) to spread most loads between studs and minimize the need for point load studs.
|Fig.3- The standard sizes of the panels used in the market|
Good to mention that my post isn’t intended to afford the technical part yet, but to give aesthetically approach over this useful element so far in the interior design industry. Therefore, and for a further technical guide and more details, please refer to the relevant resource.
Frequent Uses of the Modular Wall Partitions
They can be used in many ways and locations inside the office or the firm.
Likely, as for homes, the working spaces can be also managed according to our choice and needs. Nowadays, the definition of the working space has changed dramatically; it doesn't need any more large places for recording the stockpiling, as in the past.
Before, in some cases, an entire room wasn't sufficient to fit the quantity of documentation resulting from each project. For instance, a few years ago, an engineering firm, specializing in contracting works, must reserve at least one of its office rooms for the storage of documents related to its various projects. It was called the archive room; In this room, we can access all the documents of the various projects executed by the company.
|Fig.4- Multiple level stores units inside large warehouses, Photo Source: www.alliedmodular.com|
But today, and thanks to the new digital technology, we can free out those unnecessarily wasted rooms and use them for more useful purposes.
To gain more organized spaces for working efficiently, we will use the wall partition system as a good and great way to store the objects or to install all the devices used in the daily routine work, such as computers, printers, and other utility stuff like office stationery.
- Useful offices workstations dividers
- Wall partitions inside warehouses can be extended to more than one level depending on the high of the warehouse. See Fig. 4 beside.
- Wall partitions for wide conference rooms (Fig.5)
|Fig.5- Wall Partition Panels used to create large rooms used for conferences or else, Photo Source: www.alliedmodular.com|
- Dividers for in-between the beds in the hospitals’ rooms and other purposes within the health facilities in general, such as operation rooms, control rooms, etc…
- Low office partition at desk level, ideal for the communication between the employers as shown in Fig.6
|Fig.6- Dividers for multiple workstation offices, Photo Source: www.cubicles.com|
|Fig.7- Classrooms, Photo: www.alliedmodular.com|
- For adding extensions to your existing workspaces, such as break rooms, conference rooms, or small offices, the wall partition panels are a great solution.
- Classrooms partitions for educational schools (Fig.7)
- Many more…
Advantages of Using Wall PartitionsActually, for many reasons, and mostly for the following:
- Using office partition walls can save a lot of money, and allow customization within one space as per everyone's needs. The most important fact is that they are built using a special method of construction based on specific modules that can be repeated to fill the desired space respectively. This technique is called modular construction and fabricates the office partition walls in a factory, where are controlled conditions and a faster building process.
- Instead of having to build traditional hallow-blocks walls inside the office, modular walls are all built at the factory; This means the office won't be struggling with dust and construction mess and won't have construction workers coming and going disturbing business. Moreover, partitions are delivered to the site already manufactured and installed quickly and without any problem according to measurements taken previously.
- Modular Wall partitions are the best solution for organizing the working space for large or small office areas. They maximize space by creating individual working areas for employees; So, instead of building separate offices with the traditional construction methods, the modular wall will save the company money.
- Furthermore, and according to the way they are installed, they can be re-modulated or reconfigured to fit the related area. Because they are constituted of movable parts that can be moved to gain a more managed and utilizable workspace.
- Additionally, partitions can be sorted accordingly to colors and finishing paint directly from the factory. This means no messy painting or bad paint smell in the office. Most Modular construction companies offer a large variety of colors and finishes for the walls.
- Money-saving compared to the traditional method that consists of the usage of hollow blocks with cement mortar covered with a layer of plaster then painted, etc...
- Glass walls come in different heights and dimensions and allow big customization. Between the modular glass walls are raceways or the supporting frames. Metal raceways are great for electrical outlets or phone or data jacks and decrease the difficulties that occur with trying to run wires with traditional walls.
|Fig.8- Glass Wall Partitions with Aluminum Framework can save and hide the wiring stuff, Photo Source: www.avantisystemsusa.com|
- And finally, the time-saving! The best advantage of using the modular wall system is that you don’t have to close your office or company until the construction works end. Which is a big waste of time. Installation can take place while keeping the work running as usual.
Types of Modular Wall Partitions
Modular Wall Partitions come in several types that include mainly:
- Glass wall partitions are almost used as office dividers, conference rooms, control rooms, lunchrooms, and guardrooms. They came in many shapes and sizes. They provide a great field of view while still monitoring your office, warehouse, or other large space. Companies have been using glass wall partitions for many functions.
The glass partitions, however, are a great source to provide light inside the offices and instantly transform the ambiance into a brighter space.
Even though you can see through the glass walls, they still provide great sound insulation. The glass partitions are typically used in conjunction with the modular walls. Therefore, they have almost the same advantages previously discussed in this post. (fig.9)
|Fig.9- The glass partitions are typically used in conjunction with the modular walls, Photo Source: www.portaking.com|
- Wooden wall partitions are rarely used regarding their remarkably higher cost compared to the standard panels made usually from gypsum boards.
- The availability of various colors that can be applied from a wide collection of textures in different colors that meets your needs. Those can be selected from various patterns, such as wood, marble, or cement and any color can be customized.
- Great for Interior Decorations. Besides, other kinds of panels are specially designed for interior decorations with nice finishing textures that bring an amazing ambiance to your living interiors. Have a look over those great ideas and concepts. Choose among the wood, stone, or cement wall covering touch. Enjoy!
|Fig.10- Awesome house partition ideas for living room and dining table, Photo Source: https://qanvast.com|
|Fig.11- Glass wall partitions give transparency and brightness to your office, Photo:www.hwholmesinc.com|
|Fig.12- Wall Panel Partition with Wooden texture, Photo from CRAFTWAND Catalogues|
|Fig.13- Wall Partition with Natural Stones texture, Photo from Artstone Catalogues|
Recommended References for This Post
I hereby found you a quick list of useful addresses for Partition Walls manufacturers, for your renovation project:
- www.alliedmodular.com, Allied Modular Building Systems, Inc. for manufacturing modular panels.
- Photos resources, multiple Internet websites (mentioned below each photo accordingly)
- CRAFTWAND Catalogues, Open Resource Catalogue downloaded from www.architonic.com
- ARTSTONE Catalogues, Open Resource for stone artwork www.artstone.com
- www.hwholmesinc.com, H.W. Holmes Inc. for Office Tenant Improvement and other Retail and Restaurant Construction.
- www.cubicles.com, for Glass Wall Dividers, Office Dividers and Partitions, and other services.