Is working from home the right choice for you?
Are you setting up a place for working from home or a workspace area? It might be your next home improvement project to organize your work while at home; this is not surprising anyway as the concept of work has been changing recently in the whole world due to many reasons that we will discuss in this blog post... So, stay tuned, and let us dive in!
Congrats! Finally, you realized what you were dreaming of a long time ago: your workspace area for working from home and achieving your financial sufficiency! For many people who have to commute every day, this might be the correct solution. Right?
However,, for those who have managed to create a workspace location situation, often and over time that thought of "How great it would be to work at home" instead becomes, “Help! I can’t work because: I can’t concentrate, and a lot distracted,… or I’m not comfortable that way... I don’t have enough storage room, or I don’t know what systems I need, or even I need more space to increase my job, etc…”
So, as we can see, the home workspace location has its unique set of challenges— if not well planned from the beginning, the whole concept could fall!
It often starts with a vision but not much properly strategically studied for the long term, and ends up with a mess, because you did not preview how quickly you might grow and how rapidly things could accumulate. Besides, aesthetically speaking, many layouts and dispositions can be mounted for a home workspace location; Some of them have their own rooms, and some just share a corner of it— as shown in (Fig.1) below.
|Fig.1- Example of home office within a corner in the room, Photo: stylemotivation.com|
In short, and whatever the layout adopted is, four essentials and conditions must be determined when planning to work from home:
- The Location: The proper workspace location that responds to your needs is crucial and important in the whole process. Choose an area that fits you at the current moment and that will allow your room to expand as your business grows and varies in the future.
- Furniture Comfort: Do not pick something out there just because it is available, such as a fold-up table and extra dining room chair. On the other hand, a beautiful antique piece of furniture might also be inappropriate. On the opposite side, invest in something that will provide more relaxing solutions for better productivity.
- Lack of Storage: This is one of the most difficult conditions to handle when setting a home workspace location, because soon all the available spaces within the house will be filled, and even overflowing. Then you will be trying to bring in some more storage supplies, and you can end up with stacked boxes and piles of papers everywhere because nothing else was previewed to face this emerging situation.
- Organizing Systems: Once the above three focuses are determined, it is time to invest in learning how to organize and manage your work. Unfortunately, very few people have been taught organizing strategies as part of their education. It may have been presumed that you just learned this, or that you would hire someone who will do it for you. That is why people struggle with organizing at every stage of their work. As their business grows, they find themselves becoming less and less productive with their time, and because their work is accumulating without being organized.
The Concept of Work is Changing | The Pandemic Lockdown
Today, in the new era of technology, the traditional job concept has changed, and more and more people are becoming self-dependent which is probably the most important reason for them to favor working from home jobs. The whole idea has become extremely popular and acceptable in the last two years at least, especially with the lock-down imposed by the COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic spread worldwide, and its regulations; It is becoming hard to communicate freely with individuals in communities without taking safety precautions such as social distancing and else.
Therefore, having a workspace location within your home has become a necessity more than another thing out there; It can be an exciting home improvement project as well, but it is very important to be practical and realistic when planning the layout of your next home office.
10 Essentials To Consider When Setting Your Working from-Home Location
From the selection of the home office furniture to the well-functioning of the office or workspace, all should be planned with a lot of care and caution; When setting up an office in your home it is a very significant matter to build it within a practical environment. Which should be pleasant and comfortable for you and those who would work in the office with you.
Secondly, depending on your needs, you should always consider what you exactly want from your office before designing and furnishing it.
In history, working from home has risen dramatically— According to census.gov reports, back in the year 2010, the number of Americans who worked from a home workspace location at least one day a week increased by a range of 35% in the last decade. That's around 4.2 million Americans!
The importance of having a well-planned, well-designed, and well-organized home workspace location cannot be ignored anymore. Moreover, it can massively impact your productivity, stress levels, and overall job well-being.
Next, are 10 useful instructions and advice to follow once the project of designing your own in-home office space turns out to be real:
1. Choose the proper area/workspace location. The answer may be not as simple as you might think! One of the most physical constraints that a corner in the living room may seem to make sense of is the level of distraction you may be confronting in the future.
Televisions, telephones, and several noisy devices, as well as children and pets, are all good sources of unexpected interference to your productivity; So, choose an area with less traffic and a minimally noisy environment.
Also, it is important to be able to separate work life from home-life, by providing a separate entry for your working space from the main entrance of the residence. Perhaps an unused dining room or formal living room could be a better alternative than using a spare bedroom… (Fig.2)
|Fig.2- A woman using a laptop with her child in her hands, Photo by ShotPot from Pexels|
2. In-Closet Storage. When the option to run to a local store and purchase a desk or shelf (with assembly required) is always present, then it may seem like an excessive expense to integrate built-in closets for storage organization into a Home Workspace location. However, bringing additional furniture to a home can always cause disorder— and when it comes to working from home, the disorder is the worst thing that can happen ever!
|Fig.3- Wooden table with a chair and shelving in the home office, Photo by Max Vakhtbovych from Pexels|
Yet, it is a good idea to incorporate built-in shelving, cabinets, and drawers into your space. (See Fig.3) This will not only increase how the integrity of your home office space merges into your home, but will also avoid potential issues with purchasing additional organizing tools and stuff which certainly add to the problem instead of solving it.
3. Invest in a good chair. One of the most crucial components of any home office is the perfect and comfortable office chair, and it should be of high priority. When it comes to selecting the ultimate office chair, consider that you'll be spending a huge portion of your time sitting in that seat. So, make sure it is as comfortable and functional as possible.
4. Your Office reflects You. Forget the classic office colors (such as shades of beige and brown, unless that's what works for you) and use your style to accent your space with a color you love and desire.
Scientifically proven, we all know how much color can affect your mood. And when it comes to productivity in the office place, we cannot ignore how much mood can deeply impact it. Therefore, set your space up to be relaxing, permanent, functional, comfortable, and customized to your needs.
Don't be afraid to be exaggerating— as long as the space is functional. For instance, don’t undervalue the presence of a rug underneath your feet; You can always remove your shoes while executing your work and feel more in-home!
5. Provide a good view if possible. Everyone could build their home offices to overlook the skyline of the city or overlook a white sand beach, but unfortunately, the reality might be different! Giving yourself something more interesting to look at during those short moments when looking away from a computer display, will make you feel more agreeable.
A window is a perfect solution, but if it is impossible to have an engaging opening, even a picture or painting you enjoy can do the magic and provide those mental breaks that are essential within a productive work environment. (Fig.5)
No one likes staring at a blank wall, and while most of us can't manage the perfect view, treat ourselves to the best possible we can, by referring to those reality-like posters that simulate real-scaled imagery.
6. Complement, not Contradict. Your home office should complement the rest of your home. For instance, if your home has a traditional design with warm colors— then stick with that. Your home office space should go smoothly with the design of your home. After all, you want your home office to give you a sense of comfort and ease, not be a shocking factor to the senses. (Fig.6)
7. Give the best Illumination available. Provide yourself plenty of light. Of course, natural light is the better choice, but as the daylight hours are limited, make sure that your office space is equipped with ample, bright light with good saturation.
You will likely need more light than you expected. So adding additional light fixtures is to be considered. For best results, stick around 900 Lumens minimum (depending on your space) and make sure that your light source is reachable from a seated position.
8. Your Safety is a Priority. When you're setting up your home workspace location, make your well-being a priority. We spent hours per day lying in the same position at our desks.
Besides, researchers have shown us more and more how bad is to be seated in an improper posture that can hurt the body. You can save yourself so many strength and health issues while avoiding serious long-term problems by making sure that your home workspace location is as ergonomic and healthy as possible.
Also, ensure your workspace location has regular clean air and good ventilation around the day’s hours. Make sure you do whatever is needed to make your space friendly to your body.
9. Add some Greenery. Consider incorporating office plants into your workspace location design. You might select your favorite from this amazing list of 10 Best Indoor Plants for your Home Improvement Project.
Fig.7- Relaxing ambiance created by green plants in a working area, Photo from Pexels
Adding a plant or two to your workspace location can improve air quality, make your room more comfortable, reduce stress, and therefore increase the productivity of work. A plant is a welcomed and pleasant distraction in the moments while taking care of it by watering or trimming— and besides, they give a great look! (Fig.7)
10. Cables Organization. Nothing can be more troublesome and harmful to your eyes than a bunch of cables cluttering over a desk or the floor in a working place. Talk with your designer about incorporating ways to hide those; It could be by using special cable covers that enroll and protect all the hanging cables into only one tube or more. (Use the color that fits your office style, see Fig.8)
|Fig.8- Cables covers with multiple colors, Photo: AliExpress.com|
Make sure that your workspace location is set up for any potential connection you might need in the future for your apparel, including adequate electrical outlets. Also, check if your equipment layout is allowed to be altered— you never know when you'll be getting some new techs for your office. When installing a new home office— you should invest as much as your budget can handle. You have to think that every amount of money invested in this project will have its revenue to your direct benefit;
Actually, this is the place where you will be spending most of your time and more than any other room in your whole house. So, don’t skimp on any of the elements that might impact your home office productivity.
Practically, you can start by hiring an expert to help you expand your ideas and approach them the right way. Or perhaps let him share with you his perception of the project: With a creative designer, the possibilities are endless, isn’t worth it?
Follow the latest developments and news on our Google News website.Follow Our Website
Why choosing the right office-furniture is key?
Besides, it is not to be forgotten that choosing the right furniture for your small office is a priority and a principle that you should consider in the first place. Picking regular office furniture is difficult to achieve yet, picking home office furniture is significantly a more troublesome task.
In a workspace location, you need to struggle to give the office its functional look since it will be inside your home, therefore chances of becoming an extension of the house are very possible. In this manner, you should be very cautious about the fittings items that you get to ensure that they are exactly giving the impression you need for your home office. A great help in this regard can be found in adopting custom-made furniture.
There are many advantages of using custom-made furniture but to win the benefits of using those, it is important to be certain of your needs. Once you are done, you can reliably place your order and equip your office accordingly.
Custom furniture allows office owners the ability to pick furniture items of their choice. All you need to do is to discuss your demands and requirements with your designer and you can expect to get everything considered for you.
|Fig.9- Interior of a spacious apartment with home office room, Photo by Max Vakhtbovych from Pexels|
You might choose to refurbish your existing office which is a convenient solution somehow if available. However, the problem that most office owners face when purchasing standard office furniture is that most items do not match the office décor.
In this case, the ideal solution is to adopt custom-made furniture that can be designed in compliance with your existing home style.
Space is often a big constraint in a workspace at home and this disadvantage prevents office owners from buying furnishing items of their choice. In such situations, custom home office furniture can be the savior because it can be manufactured keeping all your needs and requirements in mind.
If you wish to furnish a home workspace location with space-saving fittings, customized furniture is a perfect choice. Moreover, when opting for those you would have the liberty to design items for your convenience.
Custom-made furniture for workspace locations can be manufactured in such a way that it would fit exactly the area reserved for your potential office. The desks and chairs would be designed in such a way that would provide the best comfort and convenience to people, thus increasing their productivity and interest in work.
In brief, and in what concerns the office furniture, it is a difficult thing to decide upon, not only because the office is a part of the home but also because furniture is not something that you can change very often. So when you decide on something, you stick to it! You need to make sure that you choose the right choice that will fit into the available area you have reserved and will match also the current decor of your home;
Keep in mind that it will serve you at least years before changing it and trying to fix what was inappropriate...
In the end, having the opportunity to work from home will:
- decrease the time spent commuting,
- gives you extra flexibility in your daily schedule,
- allow you more time for your family.
On the other hand, it can become a deception, if not planned carefully. So, move now and make sure it is what you always dreamed of, not a nightmare!