Principles of a Design Profession for the 21st Century
(As featured on tradebit.com)
What is Landscape Architecture? Is it gardening, science, or art?
In this ebook, Bruce Sharky provides a complete overview of the discipline to provide those that are new to the subject with the foundations for future study and practice. The many varieties of landscape practice are discussed with an emphasis on the significant contributions that landscape architects have made across the world in daily practice.
Written by a leading scholar and practitioner, this book outlines the subject and explores how, from a basis in garden design, it "leaped over the garden wall" to encapsulate areas such as urban and park design, community and regional planning, habitat restoration, green infrastructure, and sustainable design, and site engineering and implementation.
The E-book's CoverageThe eBook covers the following topics and subjects:
- The effects that natural and human factors have upon design, and how the discipline is uniquely placed to address these challenges.
- Examples of contemporary landscape architecture work - from stormwater management and walkable cities to well-known projects like the New York High Line and the London Olympic Park.
- Exploration of how art and design, science, horticulture, and construction come together in one subject.
The book is divided into 11 chapters as follows:
1. What is a Landscape Architect?
2. The Language and Concepts of Design,
3. Design Process and Life of a Project,
4. Historical Context of Landscape Architecture: From the Garden of Eden to the New York Highline and Sustainable Design,
5. Fundamental Design and Spatial Organization Concepts,
6. Gardens, Communities, Parks, and Urban Design,
7. Designing with Plants in Mind, 8. Concrete, Soil, Wood, and Other Materials,
9. Design Realization,
10. Green Infrastructure and Sustainable Design,
11. The Future of Landscape Architecture
"Thinking About Landscape Architecture"
"Thinking about Landscape Architecture" is perfect for those wanting to better understand this fascinating subject, and those starting out as landscape architecture students or a new project.